It’s going to be a great year in DeKalb County and you aren’t going to want to miss out! We are famous for our classic automobiles but with our award-winning wineries, chic boutiques, unique festivals and fantastic food options you don’t have to like cars to LOVE DEKALB COUNTY.
We’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite and best things to do that you will definitely want to do in the coming months. Make your plans now!
- Attend the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Classic Car Show & Festival and Fall R.M. Southeby’s Auction. – Okay, people, this is seriously one spectacularly fun weekend in DeKalb County. There’s the excitement of the auction coupled with a blend of classic car shows, parades, concerts and plenty of fun in between. Labor Day Weekend IS the best time to come to DeKalb County!
- Visit our Three Wineries. (Country Heritage Winery & Vineyard, Byler Lane Winery, Hartland Winery) Either add one of our great wineries to your trip or make plans to visit all 3. What’s not to love about a day of sampling wines and enjoying the day? Make sure you check their schedules for live music and no visit is complete without a wine slushy!
- Add the Pickles! Head to the small town of St. Joe, Indiana, where pickles reign supreme. Take a tour of the Sechler’s Pickle Factory that was featured on Cooking Channel’s Unwrapped and then stock up on all your favorites in their onsite shop. (seasonal April – Oct)
- Cruise the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum. Head to where the tradition all started, the headquarters of the Auburn Automotive Company is now a world-class museum showcasing the glamorous and gorgeous automobiles that were once built in this city.
- See One-of-a-Kind Treasures in the National Automotive and Truck Museum. You’ll want to spend hours checking out the truck that has the land speed record, the GM Futurliner, the General Lee from the Opening Footage of the Show and so many other unique and classic vehicles. Whether you enjoy cars or a good history lesson, this is a must-see on any DeKalb County visit, along with our many other museums showcasing history, art and transportation displays.
- Grab a Donut at One of the Largest Street Fairs in the State. The DeKalb County Free Fall Fair is one of the most popular street fairs in NE Indiana and features free concerts, games, rides, industrial tent and 4-H Fair activities. Oh, and did we mention the famous fair donuts? Always begins on the 4th Monday of each September. Mark your calendar now.
- Get Shopping. Need a new outfit? Something new for you house? We have a growing list of boutiques and shops filled with clothing, jewelry, home decor, original art pieces and more. Downtown Auburn is growing quickly but don’t miss our other great shops around the county. Don’t worry, you can find them all listed on our website.
- Come see the transformation of the Early Ford V8 Foundation Museum. Make plans to visit this year as they unveil their epic expansion which triples their size and will feature a spectacular replica of the famous Ford Rotunda. The museum is open during expansion so don’t be shy…come on in.
- Have the Crab Cake Topped Filet at Shorty’s Steakhouse. DeKalb County has a
growing list of amazing restaurants that you MUST try out. Have a steak at Shorty’s. Indulge yourself with lasagna at Sandra D’s or a calzone from the Italian Grille. Or try out another one of our fantastic eateries listed here.
- Hunt for Treasures in our Antique Shops. The best part about collecting antiques is finding and exploring new antique shops! From our 25,000 sq. foot Gallery 326 Antiques off the interstate to Miss Vicky’s in Garrett, you are just scratching the surface on all our great shops. Carve out a day for antiquing fun. For a full list of all our shops, click here.